"Whether it was the stimulating in-class discussions, the full-time internship, or the personal discussions with other interns, the MPSN summer internship program was truly a learning experience. During my summer in DC, I grew personally, professionally and academically. I don't hesitate to say that the MPSN program is one of the most dynamic internship programs available, and I would recommend it to any Muslim students who have a mind for policy."
- Shaan Rizvi (MPSN 2006)
|Early Decision||Regular Decision|
|Summer Fellowship Application Available||February 10||February 10|
Parts I & II may be submitted separately
|February 10 - March 31||February 10 - April 15|
|Part I Deadline||March 31||April 15|
|Part II Deadline||April 15||April 25|
|Application & Financial Aid Decisions Sent||No later than May 1||No later than May 1|
|Deadline: Confirmation of Attendance||May 10||May 10|
|Summer Fellowship Program||June 1 - July 31||June 1 - July 31|
Before you begin the process of applying, please remember that you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be at least-18 years-old by June 1
- Enrolled as a degree-seeking student in a four year accredited college or university at the undergraduate, graduate or professional level; and
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
How to Apply
To help keep track of everything you need to do through the application process, follow the checklist below. Incomplete applications will delay the processing of your documents. Contact the Admissions Director if you have any questions about the application process.
Be sure to review the steps you must take, and by when, to ensure your application receives proper consideration. If you apply after the deadline, your application will be considered only if spaces are still available.
- Summer Program Application
You may submit the form by pressing the “Submit” button in the file itself, or by emailing it as an attachment to admissions AT muslimpublicservice.org.
- Application Fee
Pay the application fee via Network for Good. The application fee is $30 before March 31; $50 after April 1. Make sure to type in your name and “Application fee” in the designation field.
- Notify your references that they will receive an email from MPSN soon.
We encourage you to contact your references prior to entering their contact information in the application so they will expect our email. Please complete that part of the application as early as possible so your references will be completed in a timely fashion.
- Apply for Internships
Start applying for internships in DC as soon as possible! You do not have to secure an internship before submitting your application. However, in order to participate in the program, you must have secured an acceptable internship. Remember, your internship must meet MPSN's acceptable internship guidelines in order to participate in the program.
- Optional: Financial Aid Forms
Complete the Financial Aid Form and make sure to submit the supplemental documents, as well.
Application: Part II
- Phone Interviews
After you submit all documents for Part I, you will be contacted to schedule two separate phone interviews. Please allocate 30 to 45 minutes for each.
- Email summer internship confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you’ve secured a summer internship, forward your employer’s written confirmation to MPSN. Your internship must meet MPSN's acceptable internship guidelines in order to participate in the program.
While the residential component is an integral part of the summer experience, MPSN recognizes the special circumstances for those who have secured their own housing in Washington, DC. For qualified applicants with these circumstances, a limited number of non‐residential fellows may be accepted to the program.
Non‐residential fellows are expected to fully participate in programmatic activities (including seminars, etc.), in addition to ensuring their commute is not an obstacle to participation. They may be excused from no more than one evening session per week. You must indicate if you would like to be considered for a non‐residential fellowship in your application.
Strengthening Your Application
Apply On Time
- Apply early for internships and MPSN. Remember to apply for internships while you are in the application process of MPSN. Do not wait for a decision from MPSN to begin your internship search.
- All sections of the application are mandatory, and incomplete applications will delay the admission process.
- Proofread your application. Grammatical errors, as well as poorly written essays, weaken your application.
Follow the Outlined Process
- Staff or alumni are welcome to submit recommendations and letters of support; however, any connections to staff/alumni do not by themselves increase your chance of admission.
Share Your Strengths
- The interviews will help the Admissions Committee get to know you better.
- Highlight your strengths and unique factors that would be an asset to MPSN and your classmates.
- Take a moment before answering questions to compose your thoughts.