Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I be assigned an internship, or do I need to secure an internship myself?
It is the responsibility of applicants to secure a day internship, as they know their own field interests and career goals best. We've included up-to-date internship listings and a list of organizations where MPSN alumni have interned. Accepted applicants must secure internships that fall within MPSN's acceptable internship guidelines.
If you are having difficulty securing an internship, contact our Internship Coordinator who may be able to assist you with your search.
- Where can I find internship listings?
Refer to the RSS feed of up-to-date internship listings.
- What are the accommodations like?
MPSN will provide fellows with room and board in the Washington metropolitan area from June 1 through July 31. Men and women have separate living quarters that are shared with the program Resident Assistant and occasional out-of-town guest lecturers. Classes and other group activities are held in a central location convenient to both groups. Participants share household responsibilities such as preparing meals, cleaning, etc.
- Are scholarships or financial aid available?
See Financial Aid
- Can I still apply even though I've secured non-MPSN housing for the summer (i.e. living with family, friend, relative, university)?
- Will I need proof of medical insurance?
Upon acceptance to the program, Fellows will be asked to provide proof of medical insurance, complete a medical information form, and provide emergency contact information. Fellows will be responsible for their own medical insurance and any medical care that may be needed while they are in the program.
MPSN requires you to carry your own health insurance. MPSN does not provide any insurance or any other type of coverage.
- Will MPSN cover my travel expenses to and from Washington, DC?
Fellows are expected to pay their own transportation costs to and from Washington, DC. Travel assistance to/from Washington DC may be available to those fellows that qualify. All other transportation costs related to internships or group activities will be provided by MPSN. An introduction to the Washington public transportation system will be included in the orientation packet.
- Will there be any free time for me to explore Washington, DC.?
Group trips to local sights and events are planned by the class upon arrival. Alternate weekends are left open for recreation and individual plans.